July is National Hot Dog Month and I have some fun facts and recipes for your from French's Mustard!
Did you know that hot dogs AND mustard were first introduced in 1904 at the St. Louis World's Fair? Hot dogs and baseball go together and French's Mustard and in 1915 French's made baseball a part of it's heritage by incorporating the red pennant into their logo.
Enjoy these fun facts from the National Hot Dog and Sausage Council.
Fun Facts about Hot Dogs and Mustard*:
· 2.3 billion hot dogs are consumed during National Hot Dog Month which occurs in July
· During hot dog season, from Memorial Day to Labor Day, 7 billion hot dogs are consumed which translates to 818 hotdogs every second during that time period
· Mustard is the number one hot-dog topping in America
· On July 4th, Americans will enjoy 155 million hot dogs—enough to stretch from D.C. to L.A. over five times
· Every year, Americans eat an average of 60 hot dogs each
· Classic Yellow mustard is 100% natural with zero calories, making it one of the healthiest condiment
1839- Baseball invented by Abner Doubleday
1903 – The inaugural World Series between the National League (formed in 1876) and American League (formed in 1900) champs.
1904- French’s® Cream Salad (yellow) Mustard introduced at the St. Louis World’s Fair.
1915- French’s® Pennant became the brand’s official logo.
1926- Reckitt and Coleman purchased RT French Company.
2000- Reckitt and Coleman changed its name to Reckitt Benckiser, the current parent company of French’s® Mustard.
2004- French’s® Celebrates 100th Anniversary of Classic Yellow Mustard
2010- Today French’s® Mustard offers Spicy Brown, Honey, Honey Dijon, and Horseradish flavors in addition to its Classic Yellow Mustard and new Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce.
HOT DOG BURRITOS
A quick, easy meal for back-to-school days. To serve for lunch, spoon bean mixture into Thermos®-style containers. Great for serving at picnics, too!
Prep Time: 5 min. Cook Time: 5 min.
1 (16 oz.) can baked beans
8 frankfurters, sliced
1/3 cup ketchup
2 tbsp. FRENCH’S® Classic Yellow® Mustard
2 tbsp. brown sugar
8 (8 inch) flour tortillas, heated
1. COMBINE beans, sliced frankfurters, ketchup, mustard and sugar in medium saucepan. Simmer about 5 min. to heat through.
2. SPOON mixture into tortillas, dividing evenly. Roll up jelly-roll style.
Makes 8 servings
Tip: Try topping dogs with FRENCH’S® French Fried Onions before rolling up!
KIELBASA & KRAUT HEROES
For barbecues, place this mixture into a heavy foil pan. Cover and heat on grill 15 minutes. Spoon on heroes just before serving.
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 20 minute
1 tbsp vegetable oil
large, red onions, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
kielbasa, thickly sliced
sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
1 can (12 ounces) beer or non-alcoholic malt beverage
1/2 cup FRENCH’S® Spicy Brown Mustard or FRENCH’S® Horseradish Mustard
1 tbsp. caraway seeds
hot dog or hero-style buns
1. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onions; cook 5 minutes or just until tender, stirring often. Remove from skillet.
2. Add kielbasa to skillet; cook and stir 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Drain off fat. Stir in onions, sauerkraut, beer, mustard and caraway seeds. Cook over low heat 10 minutes or until most of liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally. Serve in buns.
Makes 8 servings
GERMAN POTATO SALAD WITH GRILLED SAUSAGE
Grill sausage at your next barbecue and add to potato salad just before serving. Ideal for tailgating parties.
Prep Time: 15 min. Cook Time: 15 min.
prepared vinaigrette salad dressing
1/3 cup FRENCH’S® Spicy Brown Mustard or FRENCH’S® Horseradish Mustard
1 tbsp. sugar
1 ½ lbs. red or boiling-type potatoes, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 cup chopped celery
½ cup chopped onion
½ lb. kielbasa or smoked sausage, split lengthwise
1. MIX salad dressing, mustard and sugar in large bowl; set aside.
2. COOK potatoes in boiling salted water to cover for 10 to 15 min. until potatoes are tender. Drain and transfer to bowl. Add bell pepper, celery and onion; set aside.
3. Grill sausage over medium-high heat until lightly browned and heated through. Cut into small cubes. Add to bowl with potatoes. Toss well to coat evenly. Serve warm.
Makes 6 to 8 servings
FRENCH’S® Foods, a division of Reckitt Benckiser, the maker of FRENCH’S® mustards, is a leading manufacturer, marketer, and distributor of food and household products. Some other well known, trusted household names in the Reckitt Benckiser Inc. family of food products include FRANK’S® REDHOT® Cayenne Pepper Sauce, FRENCH’S® French Fried Onions and FRENCH’S®Worcestershire sauce.